Code Signing certificates are used by software developers to digitally sign applications and software programs to prove that the file a user is downloading is genuine and has not been compromised. This is especially important for publishers who distribute their software through third-party download sites, which they may have no control over. Major operating systems will show end users an error message if the software they are trying to install is not signed by a trusted CA.
Code Signing provides authentication to assure customers that the file they are downloading is from the publisher named on the certificate. In addition, this also proves that the file has not been tampered with or hacked since it was signed.
Features & Benefits
- Meets CA/Browser Forum authentication standards and Microsoft specifications.
- Establishes reputation in Windows 8.0 and later, Internet Explorer 9 and later, Microsoft Edge, and Microsoft's SmartScreen® Application Reputation filter.
- Protects private key from theft via hardware token and PIN.
- Supports all major 32-bit/64-bit formats, including Microsoft Authenticode (kernel and user mode files, like .exe, .cab, .dll, .ocx, .msi, .xpi, and .xap), Adobe Air, Apple applications and plug-ins, Java, MS Office Macro and VBA, Mozilla object files, and Microsoft Silverlight applications.
Choose Extended Validation for Higher Trust
EV Code Signing certificates include all the benefits of regular code signing and introduce essential security features to increase security and improve customer trust including:
- Rigorous Vetting Process – EV Code Signing certificates are issued after verifying the identity of the publisher to the robust specifications laid out by the CA/Browser Forum and Microsoft.
- Two Factor Authentication – Private keys are stored on an external hardware token which is required in order to sign code, protecting your certificate from being exported and used by unauthorized personnel.
Note: Please use Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or Mozilla Firefox to collect your certificate. Code Signing certificates cannot be generated using Apple Safari, Google Chrome, or Microsoft Edge.
Get Industry-leading Solutions for Your Online Business
With world class solutions that identify, prevent and combat web-based threats, InstantSSL helps businesses protect their customers and reach their goals.