How to Generate ECC Certificate Signing Request on Microsoft Management Console
How to Create Your ECC CSR Using the Microsoft Management Console (MMC)
- Open Microsoft Management Console as an admin.
- On the Windows Start screen, type mmc.
- Right-click on mmc.exe and then click Run as administrator.
- In the User Account Control window, click Yes to allow the program to make changes to the computer.
- In the MMC Console, click File > Add/Remove Snap-in.
- In the Add or Remove Snap-ins window, under Available snap-ins, select Certificates and then, click Add.
- In the Certificate snap-in window, select Computer account so that you can manage the certificates that are installed on this computer.
- In the Select Computer window, select Local computer: (the computer this console is running on) and then, click Finish.
- In the Add or Remove Snap-ins window, click OK.
- In the MMC Console, in the console tree, expand Certificates > Personal, right-click on the Certificates folder, and then, click All Tasks > Advanced Operations > Create Custom Request.
- In the Certificate Enrollment wizard, on the Before You Begin page, click Next.
- On the Select Certificate Enrollment Policy page, select Process without enrollment policy and then, click Next.
- On the Custom request page, do the following things, and then click Next.
Template: In the drop-down list, you select (No template) CNG key. Request format: Select PKCS #10.
- On the Certificate Information page, expand Details (click the drop-down arrow) and then click Properties.
- In the Certificate Properties window, on the General tab, do the following:
Friendly name: Type a friendly name for the ECC SSL Certificate. Note: The friendly name is not part of the certificate; instead, it is used to identify the certificate. Description: Type a brief description about the certificate.
- On the Subject tab, under Subject name, select a Type, enter the appropriate Value for the type, and then click Add. your company's legally registered name (i.e. YourCompany, Inc.).
Type Value Common name Enter the fully qualified domain name (i.e. www.example.com). Organization unit Enter the department within your organization that you want to appear on the ECC SSL Certificate. Locality Enter the city where your company is legally located. State Enter the state/province/region where your company is legally located. Country Enter the country where your company is legally located.
- If you are ordering a Multi-Domain (SAN) or an EV Multi-Domain ECC SSL Certificate, enter additional hostnames (i.e. example2.com, example3.net, mail.example.net) that you want your EV Multi-Domain or Multi-Domain (SAN) Certificate to secure.
- Under Alternative name, in the Type drop-down list, select DNS.
- In the Value box, enter an additional hostname that you want the certificate to secure and then click Add.
- Repeat for each additional hostname that you want to add to the certificate.
- On the Private Key tab, expand Cryptographic Service Provider and then under Select cryptographic service provider (CSP), do the following:
- Uncheck RSA, Microsoft Software Key Storage Provider.
- Check ECDSA_P256, Microsoft Software Key Storage Provider.
Recommended ECC key size is 256-bit. If greater encryption strength is required, your other private key options are 384 or 521.
Note: You can select any of the ECDSA options for your ECC SSL Certificate. Do not use the ECDH options.
- Next, expand Key options and check Make private key exportable.
- Finally, click Apply and then click OK.
- In the Certificate Enrollment wizard, on the Certificate Information page, click Next.
- On the Where do you want to save the offline request page, do the following:
- For the File format, select Base 64.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your CSR file (i.e. ecc_ssl_csr).
- Click Browse to select the location where you want to save the CSR (.req) file and then click Save.
Make sure to note the filename and the location where you saved your CSR file.
- Click Finish.
- Use a text editor (such as Notepad) to open the file.
- Then, copy the text, including the -----BEGIN NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST----- and -----END NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST----- tags, and enter it into the order form.
Note: During your SSL Certificate ordering process, make sure that you select OTHER when asked to Select Server Software. This option ensures that you receive all the required certificates.
- After you receive your ECC SSL Certificate, you can install it.