Create a new web site in IIS (see Related Items), then go to the 'Properties'--> 'Directory Security' -->'Server Certificate' tab.
Use the certificate wizard to create your new Key/CSR file.
Backup the private key file by following the instructions:
- Start --> Run --> type mmc, select OK.
- Go into the Console Tab --> Add/Remove Snap in
- Click on Add --> Double Click on Certificates and Click on Add, click OK
- Choose Computer Account, then Local Computer
- Open up the Certificates Console Tree
- Look for a folder called REQUEST, Certificates
- Highlight the key that you wish to back up
- Right click on the file and choose, All Tasks, Export
- Follow the Certificate Export Wizard
- Choose to mark the Private key as exportable
- Leave default settings
- Choose to save file on a set location.
- It is important to take a copy of the private key and store it off the server; in the event that the server crashes.
- Click Finish.
- You will get message that the export was successful.
- Save the resultant CSR file to your hard drive indicating it is a renewal CSR.
- Use this CSR during the purchase process.
- Once you receive the renewed certificate, install it using the wizard you used to create it on the same NEW website you created.
Install Certificate on Test site.
- Once installed, go to the correct website you want the certificate to run on.
- Go to 'Properties', 'Directory Security', 'Server Certificate', remove the certificate currently installed, and assign the certificate you installed in the previous step
- Restart the WWW service
- It is now safe to delete the temporary site.
- Related Item: